Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I canNOT believe that it is already Wednesday!

I didn't think it would take very long for us to become totally integrated in the Highland school and community and that has turned out to be 100% correct!


Along with Vaughn teaching all 4 High School Bible classes every day and being in charge of the weekly High School chapel, he has now taken on a month of teaching a class in Geometry while our Director's wife has returned to the states to take care of some medical issues.  He has also started planning the November Spiritual Emphasis week to be held in November and he is on the Community connection committee between the school and each home (which is overseeing each of the groups hosting some sort of activity to help encourage parents getting more involved and feeling more welcome on campus).

I am working with some 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th grade students who need help in learning English as a 2nd language and some Special education needs.  I am in the library for the rest of each of my days - usually.  I have also already substituted for a Middle school teacher and for a partial day for the 1st grade teacher.  Currently I am observing the 3rd grade class as I will be substituting for her next week as she will be away from the school for family issues.  I am also on the "Safe, Orderly, Caring and Spiritually Nurturing Environment" committee.  I have been asked to participate in planning, organizing and pulling off the school-wide Christmas program and today the Director asked me to consider joining the Member Care committee this year and heading it up next year.

Vaughn has a group in one of his Bible classes who are trying their best to disrupt the planned conversations and ask random, unrelated questions.  I have one boy who I feel sure God is wooing.  I told him this and that I would be praying for him and so would Mr. Van Liew and when he made the decision to surrender his life to the Lord, I would appreciate it if he would tell us!  He was a bit taken back, but there are just times when you are able to see the obvious struggle that is taking place in a person's life between Christ and the world and I see it in Andre.  I told him that I would not be one bit surprised if he ended up being a Pastor.  One of the other students who happened to be in the class at the time shared that his father was a Pastor and that when he was young, he was REALLY bad to which this brought great howls of laughter from the class.

So, if you would please remember Andre and his coming to the Lord, I would be so appreciative, along with the class in which Vaughn spends too much time redirecting their attention is the 9th grade/Freshman class.

Also, please pray for our staff retreat this Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.  It is a time of renewal and bonding.  I am a bit apprehensive about the planned activity for Friday, however.  We are all going to play paintball.  For those of you not familiar with this barbaric "game," let me enlighten you - "
Paintball is a game or a sport where players are armed with paintball guns, split up onto different teams and they work together by shooting the players on the other team to win the game. Games are not only won by eliminating other players, many scenarios can be played including flag games."   MY definition is quite different from that one that I found online!  A bunch of crazy people all go to an area where they pay to put on a vest and are given guns that shoot hard paint-filled pellets with which you are supposed to shoot at the opposing team.  Many bruises are caused by this "FUN" of which are shown proudly as if they were medals. (LOL) 

                                                       
 I think that a Grandma ought to get some extra hiding places or extra paintball pellets or extra padding!  Maybe I will just wear my black trenchcoat and let 'em hit me all they want!

More updates to come!
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment